From:
Tom Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:38:06 -0600
To      : Pam Wells
Re      : Metronidazole

The statement you extracted from my book, was the recommendation of the
American Academy of Pediatrics.

The contraindication for metronidazole comes from years ago when it was found
to be "mutagenic" in cell cultures.  It's interesting, that it has been used in
millions of humans,  and we've no report of mutagenicity at all.

I think metronidazole should be considered safe in pediatric patients. We use
it every day in our neonatal nurseries.

But remember,  the 2 gm STAT dose is for treating trichonomiasis ONLY,  not
anaerobic infections, which generally require a TID dose for 7-10 days.

Tom Hale