From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:59:33 +0100
There are two aspects it might be useful to cover - one, the continued
need/use of breastfeeding...

http://www.who.int/child-adolescent-health/NUTRITION/infant_exclusive.htm

http://www.who.int/child-adolescent-health/NUTRITION/complementary.htm

http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/116/3/e432

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html

and the iron issue...

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/t043100.asp

http://www.infactcanada.ca/bandiron.htm

http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme_asklc_ans22.html

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm

But none of these are going to address the issue that the doctor is too
stupid to realise that all that's required for the infant in question is
too eat a tiny sliver of meat now and again!   Or his going against AAP
guidelines, never mind WHO/Unicef ones.  I'd ask the mother if she'd
consider using a chicken leg bone as a teething aid?  You simply strip
off the splinter bone, and leave some bits of meat on the bone, and give
it to the baby.  It is a wonderful teething aid and lo and behold, they
sometimes swallow some of the chicken slivers!  :-)  Vegan and iron fact
sheet in above, if family are vegan/veggie.

Morgan