From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:01:20 -0500
Kathy said:
Wow!  Just caught the tail end of a CNN headline news flash that said a new
study just published (didn't catch where) found that 55% of SIDS deaths
could have been prevented by BREASTFEEDING.

I heard about this on the radio coming in to work this morning.  What they
(on this radio station)said was that there were 3 things that were found to
be risk factors for most cases of SIDS and they were, not being breastfed,
mothers who smoke, and prone sleeping position.  I called to comment,
thinking this was "new" info from the "old" New Zealand Cot Death Study and
the DJ told me it was a study done here in the US that was just released.
She commented that "since it was done here, that must make it official".  If
I remember correctly, though, I believe she said the prone sleeping position
was one of the three factors.  I'd love to see the study itself.  This is
good news for breastfeeding advocates, at least it is if it makes the news!

Marsha, who never could figure out why this aspect of the New Zealand study
never got any publicity.  Only the "back to sleep" one...