From:
Linda Cairns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:36:38 -0500
In article:   writes:
> ----------------------------
>
> Date:    Thu, 21 Mar 1996 18:32:16 -0700
> From:    Arly Helm <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: mad cow disease
>
> I remember someone posted on this sometime back.  Tonight's Canadian
> Broadcasting radio program, "As It Happens," is devoting a lot of time to
> the problem of mad cow disease in Britain, which is causing a fatal
> encephalitis in humans.  At one point it was mentioned that 25% of the
> dairy cows slaughtered at one plant were infected.  I understand that the
> brain and meninges are the seat of the infection, but since meat can confer
> the infection on humans, what about the milk?
>
> I may have missed a reference to this in coming in the house from the car.
> Anyone hear anything?
>
> P.S.  I am embarrassed to admit I cannot spell the disease in humans, but
> it's Jacob-Kruetzfeldt's disease, I believe.  My Taber's cannot help here.
>
> Arly in Northern Utah                [log in to unmask]
> MS, CLE, IBCLC

The disease in humans is Creutzfeld-Jacobs disease (CJD).

Most of the articles I have read indicate that beef itself and milk are
considered to be safe, but the concern is with the spinal cord, brain and offal.
Processed meat which is removed by high pressure from the bones could possibly
contain some spinal cord, and so is to be avoided.

There are some scientists who are particularly cautious who state that since
nerves are present throughout the meat, this should be avoided as well.

We have been eating the meat of scrapie infected sheep, and avoiding the offal
etc so maybe this is similar, although it is thought that the infective agent is
slightly altered when infecting cattle.

I should be interested in any further information regarding the safety of milk.
--
Linda Cairns
Tilehurst, Berkshire, UK - Mum to Jonathan (9), Stephen (7), and Nicky (6)