From:
Janet Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 1996 01:26:47 -0500
Hi All,
Had to tell you about a little thing that happened today.  Was out with my
kids and a friend, Jenny, at a local Mall eating frozen yogurt and talking
about the strange twists and turns our lives can take.
Back before Ben was born, summer of 1994, I went to a maternity store and the
gal who worked there, Jenny, was really nice.  I went in there quite
frequently, and she always remembered who I was.
After Ben was born, we had a lot of BF probs.  I was hooked up with Karen
Evon, IBCLC, who saved my BF life.  Because of Karen I discovered a field
that I had never heard of before, became interested in lactation as a career,
got into the WIC program, became a PC, am now a CLE and counsel women for WIC
as well as private clients (I also run a pump station).
Karen opened up a maternity and BF specialty store, with a friend, in April
of 1995 and was looking for a good employee.  I was not available
unfortunately.  I went into the store Jenny worked at one day and happened to
bring up the fact that Karen had opened this store and was looking for a good
employee.  Jenny asked where it was.  It happened that Jenny was moving out
if town and needed a job closer to home.  Guess what?  Jenny now works at
Karen's store thanks to me!  :)  And is their best employee!
Since Jenny started working at Karen's store, she has found a new career
interest in Lactation and in being an LC herself!
So here Jenny and I are talking about how life works, and it dawned on me
that none of this would have happened if:  Ben hadn't had a high palate and a
wierd suck that mascerated my nipples and forced me to seek help from Karen.

Because of a little squirt of a kid, I have a new career, I have new friends
(Karen and Jenny), Jenny has a new job (since I knew Karen because of Ben)
and a new career choice, Karen has a good friend and a great employee (both
her pick her brains every chance we get!).  WIC has a new CLE who works with
the moms in crisis, and the moms have someone they can talk to and get help
from.
Because of a squirt of a little kid, Jenny and I are now able to make a
difference in the world.  A difference that affects not only a mom and her
baby, but the govt healthcare system (less money spent on a sick baby because
mom is BF), the moms friends and family (as she influences them to BF) and
the future generation (healthier baby, a healthy relationship with mom and a
better outlook on life as a resoponsible person).  And guess what, all of you
out there are making this same difference!  Remember when you have a crummy
day, and you wonder whether or not you make a difference, that in fact you
make a large difference.  The difference is made one mom and baby couple at a
time, and is expanded when you encourage new folks to join us in the struggle
to bring BF back to being the norm and help moms and their babies.
We do a great job, folks!  One that not many others are willing to do, but
one that is important to all of us in many ways!
Keep up the good work!
Happy Easter!
Jay
(Can't wait to tell Ben that the reason his mommy helps so many people is
because of him!  :D )