From:
Denhez Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 13:57:56 -0500
Remember my two cases? Here are updates:
case #1 (pregnancy on clomid, low progesterone, no lactation): The lady
had low progesterone all along, but nobody mentioned polycystic ovaries.
However, with the SNS and 500 ml of formula as supplementation and
domperidone, baby is gaining 50 gr. a day for the last 2 weeks. Mom feels
her breast heavy before and soft after the feed... but still cannot pump
more than an ounce. The trick is now to wean baby from SNS at least some
of the time, but baby is now used to having milk very quickly and gets
frustrated if the tube is not there. I will keep you all posted !

case # 2 (fretful baby at the breast): Mom's supply responded quickly to
pumping and SNS, but baby is still fretful. The first md that had seen
the baby had prescribed anti-reflux medication, but Mom wanted to
increase her production first. Now that it is done, she is willing to use
the medication (but I had no news from her
lately, and she is quite anti-medication) We'll see, and so will you.
Thank you all for your help.

Now for a cute story: My daughter, six, came to me last week, telling me
that she would not breastfeed in public, because it would reveal her
"intimate parts" (that was learned in a sex-abuse prevention program).
"Where will you nurse your baby, then ? I ask
- In the bathroom, she says
- And would you like to eat your sandwich in a smelly bathroom ?
- no, she says, grimacing,
- then, why would you feed your baby there?
- oh... I would change bathroom.
I showed her a nursing wear catalogue...

Louise Denhez, M.D., M.P.H
Montreal, Quebec, Canada