From:
Julie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:01:34 -0800
I couldn't help add my .02 to this. Those who know me are probably waiting for me to say something on this subject. 10 and 1/2 years ago my then 34 weeker would not suck at the breast or the bottle was tubed fed Similac. I had not at that time absolutely no lactation education or knowledge. To make a long story short, I believe the forced feedings with Similac started his NEC.  I was told other babies were being diagnosised as well at the same time.  After 9 weeks in the NICU, 6 weeks of 3 antibiotics, 2 spinal taps, 1 blood infection, 2 surgeries and 2/3 of his bowels removed, I walked him out of the hospital in pretty good shape. Still not knowing too much I researched at a medical library and there found the correlation between formula and NEC. This is one of my personal reasons for becoming an IBCLC. My son was also given by ME at 3 weeks after discharged an ounce of Similac because I wasn't pumping enough milk at that time and he threw up non stop for 2 hours.  He was then rehospitalized with a possible intestinal obstruction. I think it was just a reaction to the Similac myself and he never received anything else except 85% breastmilk and %15 progestamil. By the way, my now over sized, stalky 10 year is on a undefeated football team, so I had a happy ending.

Julie; IBCLC, LCCE