From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2005 09:32:57 -0800
Just musing here:

My 30 year old daughter had laparoscopy surgery for gall bladder removal on
Tuesday due to ongoing attacks since having her first baby who is 10 months
this week.  Her midwife has said she had two other of her moms have this
happen after childbirth and all the searches online say that a predisposing
factor can be pregnancy and childbirth.

After performing the surgery, the surgeon met with my son-in-law and me and
said it went well and she has exceptionally small bile ducts.  As this
daughter had severe newborn colic, I wonder if anyone has done a study or
correlated people who had infant colic and gall bladder, fat digestion
issues later in life.  Just due to anatomy, it seems females would be more
at risk due to having smaller ducts than males, and statistics bear this out
in gall bladder surgery.

Could the quantity of bile she needed to secrete to digest breastmilk fat
have been too little as a 6# newborn?  Does the one sided feeding, which I
did not know of and LLL did not mention in those days help with fat ratios
in such cases?  The colic did, miraculously to us, stop on her 3-month
birthdate as an elderly male neighbor and his wife told me it would.  This
would to along with Dr. Harvey Karp's 4th trimester development, as he calls
it.

Judy Ritchie