From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 07:51:29 -0500
Sounds like this babe knew just what its mom needed!  If baby's crying was a
trigger to her drinking, then just maybe baby's calmness at the breast can
help to cut back.  It sounds like her drinking goes far beyond just stress
with baby however and she will likely need more help to quit, but perhaps
baby's need for her might be the incentive she needs to get that help.

As to the effects of the alcohol and meds on baby:  If baby is 6 weeks old
and just went to breast for the first time, I doubt there is much milk.
Therefore, baby must be getting formula and the traces on meds and alcohol
can't be enough to be of concern (IMO).  I would think she could let baby
nurse, possibly with a supplementer at least until more info is available
about the specific meds.  If she did want to relactate and was committed to
stop drinking, by the time the supply would be offering a significant
volume, those risks might be reduced.

Note: this is my assumption, not to be taken as totally evidence based.

Winnie