From:
Anne Clements <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2002 22:04:40 +1000
we teach our mums to hand express first before even mentioning electrical
pumps.

I personally hand expresssed for 10months for both my last two babies(now 12
and 8). The only pump I had acess to was a Kaneson Hand pump,could get more
by hand then using the pump.

A lot of our mums use hand pumps as they are cheaper and easier to carry
around and use ,sterilise then buying or renting an electrical pump.

We provide eletrical pumps and pieces in the NICU for use when they visit.

I always tell our mums that hands are always available and don't cost
anything if they need to express.No electricity needed just a place to
express in comfort and peace when out.

Thank goodness our Australian culture hasn't gone "pump" mad yet .

Anne Clements RN RM BNS
Brisbane QLD
Australia