From:
"Teresa Wolf Parriott --UNMCVM(TPARRIOT)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:28:17 CST
From:  Teresa Wolf Parriott  --UNMCVM(TPARRIOT)
     I have been lurking out here for several months and would like to
introduce myself. I am an R.N. in a NICU in a teaching hospital in
Omaha, Nebraska. We have no lactation program in the hospital. I am
involved in a committee that is working on writing policies for
breastfeeding and to promote breastfeeding in our NICU and in the
birthing center.
     I am the mother of 4 children, 2 girls ages 7 and 9, and twin boys
age 11.
  My boys were born at 32 week gestation and spent some time in the
NICU. The medical staff would not "allow" me to put them to breast
because it was "too stressful" for them. I pumped milk for them for 2
months until I returned to work and had no way to pump. When they were 6
months old I transferred to work in the NICU and set about learning as
much as I could about breastfeeding and advocating for the moms I see
here. I did go on to sucessfully breastfeed my daughters (the younger of
which was also premature).
     I am planning to sit for the IBCLC exam next July. My hospital does
not have a lactation consultant at present but I hope I can be the
first. :)
     The hospital does have a "center for breast health" although I
don't see how they can talk about breast health while ignoring the main
function of the breast.
     I want to thank all of you for your very informative posts. I have
learned almost as much in my months of lurking as I did in the 10 years
of independent study. Its great to "listen" to people who are as
enthusiastic about breastfeeding as I am.

                             Tess Parriott R.N.
                             IBCLC wannabe