Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 11:02:26 +0000
Linda Pohl's post was extremely interesting and helpful. Linda - can you
tell us approximately how much alcohol would be drunk to give a blood
alcohol content of 0.1 per cent?

I find this whole issue of alcohol and bf very difficult to deal with in
class. Of course the 'safest' argument is not to drink anything when bf,
but I feel very uncomfortable with that - why  put restrictions on mothers
when it's really not necessary, or worry them for no good reason?

Re Laura Hart's point about developmental delay and alcohol intake: a
study I recall a few years ago now in the BMJ didn't link developmental
delay with light to moderate regular intake but showed subtle neurological
changes at a the age of a year. The brain was examined with some
sophisticated technique. The researchers were unable to link this with any
obvious 'damage' or changes in development. Of course it is worrying, but
it would be hard to test for very subtle delays at a year. It is a shame
that further research into this seems to sparse. If you do find the
reference for actual developmental delay,  Laura, can you post it?

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK