From:
Linda Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 19:32:29 -0500
Just a note on how everybody is different.  There were many posts on stress
and how it decreased milk supply.  My experience was so different. When my
baby was 10 days old, completely breastfed and eating constantly, he was
readmitted for beta hemolytic strep sepsis.  I was hysterical and could not
talk without tears pouring down out of concern for my baby.  I thought that
he would die, which I later found out was a statistically significant risk.
  The only thing that poured faster than the tears was my milk.  I could not
get from home to the hospital to feed without soaking through everything.  I
leaked for days.  I stayed at the hospital about 16 hours a day for 10 days
feeding him all the time.  He gained 2 pounds during the 10 days.  The
intense stress lasted for a week until they finally confirmed that he did not
have the multitude of other ailments that they tested.  Then my milk returned
to "normal", at least not leaking constantly and the crying finally stopped,
too.   Maybe, if somebody had told me that the stress of rehospitalization
would dry me up, it would have.  I was not particularly young, but new
nothing about breastfeeding.   The moral of my tale:  Don't tell women what
is sure to happen.  Each woman is different.
                  Linda   in sunny Southern California