From:
Ruth Solomon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 06:49:41 -0500
This is premie week in our area.  Don't know what's happening.
Mother of a baby born at 25 weeks was told it ws necessary to dump her
colostrum since she had a uterine infection and was running a fever.  This
mom was C-sectioned for prolonged ruptured membranes and had the infection
prior to birth.
She was told that she could save her  milk when she no longer had an
infection.
I question this information as it seems especially important since this baby
was already exposed to the bacteria prior to birth.  Wouldn't this baby need
her mother's colostrum as much as any baby.
I have not had experience with a baby this early.  Could someone that has
experience with premies please let me know if this is protocol or just  an
over cautious staff.
Ruth Solomon