From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 13:26:27 +0200
On behalf of a subscriber who is having trouble posting directly, I am
sending this:

Dear all

I have a question about the supplementation of vitamins while the mother is
exclusively breastfeeding!
Is it necessary that the baby of a health mother with a good understanding
in health food, needs extra vitamins? Specially vit K and vit D. Right after
the birth the baby gets VIT K in 2 doses( oral or IM) on day 1 and day 5.
The Belgian pediatrics recommended a small dose of vit K until the baby is 3
months and vit D :200 I.E.( white skin) and 400 I.E.( dark skin)
What is the recommendation of the IBCLC's about that in other country's?

When  mothers have the knowledge about " good and health food" is it the
necessary to supplement all this vitamins? Breastfeeding is a superior food!
It can't be that there is needed a lot of supplementation.
My question is "WHY", Fear about what? The Hemorrhagic disease?
Please, I'm waiting on a reaction from you all!

Kind regards
Magda Vaes ([log in to unmask])
Coördinator postgraduaat Lactatiekunde
Lactatiekundige IBCLC