From:
Owens Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2000 16:43:19 -0400
I have searched lactnet and not come up with a definitive answer.  I briefly spoken with a mom this morning.  Baby is 6 months and has been breastfeeding fine.  However, mom got a methicillian resistant staph infection (MRSA), near the outside corner of her eye which was lanced 2 days ago. Mom was put on levofloxacin for 2 weeks and told to pump and dump, as that antibiotic could not be used by anyone under the age of 18.  As you can imagine, no one is happy, and I see a distinct possibility of mastitis developing (pumping is not going well, and mom is moving to another state Tuesday - stress levels are high.)   So, with my non-medical background, my questions are: Is levofloxacin really contraindicated for a breastfeeding mother?  Is so, is there a breastfeeding compatible antibiotic that would be effective against MRSA?  I can't imagine that her staph infection couldn't be treated without interrupting breastfeeding.  She is calling the hospital to STRESS to the Dr. that she wants to be treated without interrupting breastfeeding.
Any ideas on different treatment options?  Thanks for you help!
Debbie Owens  LLLL Ft Knox, KY