From:
gonneke van veldhuizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Mar 2009 01:38:58 -0700
There is no scientific evidence that there is a standard shortage of vitamin K in human milk. It is very un-logical and rather un-scientific to speculate that the food that has kept our species going and thriving and getting overabundant all over the world is insufficiant in nature. (no, empted as I am, I won't go on this forum go into the logic and science of removing a perfectly healthy piece of skin from a pefectly healthy and functional bodypart.
 The habit of adding vit. K is based on the fact that a very, very small percentage of breastfed children will suffer from blood-clotting problems. In the time this was measured in my country it were about 10 children of the whole birth chort of 200.000, presumably half of them somewhat breastfed at that time in history, that would make 0.001%. In the time these things were investigted breastfeeding routines were to cry about: first feeds not within several hours pp, restricted feedings and feeding duration (3-5-7-10 minutes per breast per feed, increasing per 1-2 days ''to prevent nipple damage'') and almost standard topping up. Whatever vit K is in breastmilk will hardly reach the baby that way.
The fat-soluble vitamin K is in mature milk and in colostrum and if children will be allowed to feed ad lib ad fundum from minute 1, they will have all they need.
Again, like with so many cases. vit. K defiency is not a breastfeeding issue, but a not-breastfeeding issue.

Warmly,

Gonneke, IBCLC, retired LLLL, MOM in soutern Netherlands.