From:
julie taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Feb 2008 13:24:45 -0800
This is a long shot I know but I have been looking at the archives about debates about giving Depo provera in the early post partum period.
  I have had many (low income ,clinic) patients come to us with a sudden and drastic decline in their milk supply after being given Depo prior to discharge by residents.Most of these patients speak only Spanish and have no idea what is given to them!
  I had a somewhat heated discussion with the attending physician who told me that Depo actually increased milk supply and that I didn't know what I was talking about!
  I have been searching feverishly for data to support my argument but have found only articles by the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine (wonderful but not enough)
  Did Dr Newman publish any research about this subject? I cannot find it if he did.
  I know that lactogenisis occours due to the drop in progesterone caused by delivery of the placenta. Obviously giving progesterone is going to cause failure of breastfeeding.
  I saw a letter written in 2003 by Patti Gardner and I telephoned her to ask for the references used by Dr Margaret Neville of the University of Colorado ( she does not appear on their website, I assume that she no longer works there) Patti was not in her office and I left a message.
  Does anyone have any supporting references for this? I would love to wipe that smug smirk off that attendings face!
  Thank you wise ladies.
  Julie Taylor
  RN IBCLC