From:
"Glass, Marsha" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:25:48 -0500
Unfortunately (for this child), I can top cola in a bottle.  As an L&D
nurse, several years ago, I  had a mom come in in the middle of the night in
labor, bringing her 16 mo. old with her.  She had no transportation (had
taken a cab) and noone for a few hours to take care of the toddler.
Fortunately, though her water was broke, she wasn't in hard labor until
after the toddler left.  In the meantime though, I  saw the child with a
bottle of something that was not white, so I asked to satisfy my suspicion.
Yes, the mother told me, it was coke.  The child drank it regularly.  And
not only that, she told me rather proudly, he even drinks coffee out of the
bottle!  Apparently she had been drinking it when he was younger and, as
they will do, he reached for what she was drinking, so she gave it to him.
She said he liked it so she started putting it in his bottle.  This mom was
also a 4 pack/day smoker(now how do you have time to do anything else if you
smoke that many cigs a day!?).  Very low income and literacy level.  She
obviously loved her child, she just didn't know any better!  How sad for the
children (including the new one whom she bottlefed).  Of course, I talked
about nutrition and such to her, but not sure I made any impression.  That
one stuck with me because I really saw a caring mother who thought she was
doing fine by her children.

Marsha, who's seen lots of mothers "do" better, without seeming to care as
much!