From:
Becky Krumwiede <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 02:19:57 EDT
Not too long ago I was horrified to hear that some nurse had told a mother to
start cutting down the nipple shield she'd been given to try to wean off of it.
I was sure that you couldn't do that with the silicon shields because it left
sharp edges.  But before (unusual for me) I started shooting my mouth off I
opened a new one and sliced off the tip to check.  Lo and behold, the material
is soft.  I just got it out again and jammed it all over the roof of my mouth
and I really don't think it can do damage.

I am *sure* that the tips of the Medela nipple shields a few years ago were made
of a different material than the current ones are.  (Richard Weston, have you
given up lurking or are you still out there?)  Maybe some of the other brands
are still made of the firmer material which could definitely cause injury if
cut, and that's why the confusion.

Becky Krumwiede, RN, IBCLC