Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:23:27 -0400
Woman had AB saturday, reported no problems as of sunday night.  Still
feels fine physically, breastfeeding still going well.  No noticable supply
problems.

I reported that she and her partner had decided to use condoms and
spermicide until baby is two and then get vasectomy.  MANY of you asked why
not now which I was curious about too (I thought maybe they just hadn't
thought of it in this ruogh and stressful time).  I am an acquaintence of
the woman so I felt comfortable mentioning it and asked "why not just get
it now?"  She said they thought about it, but that while they were
*certain* they did not want another child right now, she is not sure how
they will feel when she gets to be 2 yrs pp which is when she got the
resurgence of baby fever with her other two.  She says she's just too
afraid.  I let it go.  It's been my experience pressured sterilizations
aren't good ideas.

Many also wrote about my comment wrt I know more than a few women who've
just had a nurse walk in and stick them, no warning no nothing after no
requests of any meds and sometimes after specific requests of no meds.
Some did file greivances with the hospital.  most were told it was a simple
mistake.  one hospital had the *audacity* to claim the woman was not
capable in the state she was in to make a decision as to health care and
that the drugs were necessary treatment.... and got away with it.

MD stands for major deity here, at least in the birthing community (No
offense to the good docs out there, one of my best friends is a doctor).

Luckily though in the last few years most hospitals have started refusing
to give any meds other than an epidural, and last count island wide
epidural rate was 60some%.  Pretty decent, IMHO.

-Wendey (studying LC in Montreal)