Date:
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:33:00 -0800
Ask if diapers are soaked or just damp.  First time moms often don't
realize that "# wets" means really wet.  If they're having to pull a diaper
apart or put a tissue in to tell it's wet, then it's not wet enough to
count.

Also ask if baby is sleeping alot, and has to be waked up for feeds.
"Sleepy baby" is often the first sign of bili creeping up, then becomes a
vicious cycle of sleepy baby > decreased intake > bili creeps up > sleepier
baby > etc.

Regarding lenth of feedings, ask length of time baby is actively
swallowing, not just at breast.

One hospital I get referrals from has begun teaching breast compression
routinely to all new moms that have babies that could be at risk for
problems: medicated labor, slightly premature, primip, etc.  Having fewer
problems now!

Becky Saenz, MD, IBCLC
Jackson, MS