From:
Brenda Donnelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 1997 08:44:04 +1100
Dear  Rosa,
Sounds like you have had a very frustrating experience.  It may be too late
to try any suggestions, but I just have to put my two pennyworth in having
experienced a similar problem with one of my own babies.  I am wondering
what was the cause of the weak suck when assessed by the Speech Therapist?
I wonder if the baby has the mechanics of Sucking slightly wrong  ie
Perhaps the baby drops the back of its tongue during the milking process.
The reason why I suspect this is because you said "the Baby can't
co-ordinate to swallow when you provide breast milk with a spoon or cup"
If the baby drops its tongue too soon it will choke.
I found my baby fed much more efficiently when I used a "Supply Line"
(lact-aid)  The baby has to feed properly or be drowned!  It taught my baby
that if he dropped the back of his tongue too soon (while his tongue was
still stripping the bolus of milk from the Breast), he choked because of
the greater flow of milk through the Supply Line and soon learnt to lift
the back of his tongue to control the flow of milk before swallowing ,
whereas without the S L he wasn't very effective in milking the breast and
didn't choke as much  (except when my Milk Ejection Reflex was very strong
in the early morning and he got more milk than he was capable of handling
with his faulty suck.  My supply increased dramatically with the correct
sucking action, as did my baby's weight gains.
I wonder if the coughing you describe reported by the mother was actually
choking,  with an increase in her milk supply  and perhaps the chest
problems came from inhalation of milk??
  It took several months of perserverance to correct the problem so he
could feed reasonably effectively without the S L.  When I tried without it
too soon, I ended up with mastitis from his inefficient suck and my normal
supply!
By the way, that baby is now 5 years old and having intensive speech
therapy for an inability to control the back of his tongue!  Can't say
"GA,   KA  etc!!
Hope this helps - these babies are not easy are they!
If you want further information Rosa, please e-mail me privately.

Brenda Donnelly
Brisbane,  Australia