From:
Debbie Kali <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jul 2005 07:19:06 +0200
Dear Nancy,

Just yesterday I filed an excellent article on chylothorax from Leaven, the LA Leche League Leaders Newsletter.(It's at work, so I can't give you the exact ref now)
Please let me know where I can fax it?

Debbie Kali
BA IBCLC
The Jerusalem Breastfeeding Center
Jerusalem
Israel

Dear Fellow Lactnetters,

Please accept my introduction: Debbie Kali of The Jerusalem Breastfeeding Center.
My husband and I live in a small village just out of Jerusalem. We're fortunate to be part of an unofficial clan, lviing close to our parents, siblings and our kids and their families too.(4 generations)
We have 3 kids. The oldest, 27 was FIT, weaned at 11 weeks onto 4 bottles  a day of diluted cow's milk (1/2 milk, 1/2 water)with I tablespoon of cornflour,and one of cow's milk mixed with orange juice, apple or banana puree and a sweet digestive biscuit!  We've come a  L O N G  way - though it's interesting that of our three children, she's the one with cholesterol problems since she was 15 years old, and the one who finds it difficult to control her food intake.  By the time number 2 was on the way (1983)a miniscule  amount of BF literature was becoming avialable (good thing i could read English), so Olds' & Eiger's book accompanied me to the hospital, as it did 8 years later for number 3. accompanied by the first locally written & well researched book on bf  in Hebrew.
The positive experiences I enjoyed wih these 2 children , including bf through developmental problems,
ear aches, gastric illnesses and seeing the differences "just a bit of milk" can make, lured me into La Leche League, where I've been a Leader for 11 years and inivolved in Leader Accreditation for about 8 years. One of my main goals was to ensure that local , English illiterate moms have access to literature that would enable them to become Leaders. And indeed, over the last few years a growing number of such Leaders has joined the ranks.
As with many LLLLeaders, I needed to know more. I participated in the first LC course  run by Batya Davis and became an IBCLC 5 years ago. A year later , together with 2 colleagues, also graduates of Batya's courses, we opened the Jerusalem Breastfeeding Center. Meanwhile one of my colleagues is already an IBCLC and the other working towards it. We are fortunate to have as our medical consultant,  Deena Zimmerman, MD Ped, MPH, IBCLC, one of only 2 drs iin Israel who's also an IBCLC.
When we opened, there were only 2 such clinics. Now, thanks to Batya and others, there are many more well-trained LCs available (tho far from enough)..and the "competition" serves as an impetus to continually improve!

Away from the knowledge I'm gleaning daily from Lactnet, I enjoy the input from like-thinking
women who understand, appreciate  and accomodate indiviuality and flexibility in other indiviuals, particularly moms & babes.

Warmly
Debbie Kali