From:
Kristin Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:19:42 -0500
From the NYtimes article, the following statement is what disturbs me:

"Similarly, since 2003, the number of lactation consultants certified by the
International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners, which requires 2,500
hours of practice and 45 hours of course work, has increased 15 percent to
nearly 9,000. But most consultants are not that well trained. Dozens of groups
offer certification after completion of one- to five-day courses, and there are
at least six different acronyms signifying lactation credentials. How can a
sleep-addled mother differentiate among a C.L.E., a C.B.E. and a C.L.C.? "

because this is basically implying that one can be certified by IBCLE after a 1-
5 day course..as they say that "dozens of groups offer certification"- to me it
kind of could be taken to say that the IBCLE, while requiring 2500 hrs of
practice etc, still certifies after a 1-5 day course- its just the wording of the
paragraph that allows for this implication- this bothers me because the
NYtimes is obviously read by a lot of people and holds a certain amount of
credibility, so someone could walk away from this article thinking that IBCLC
certification is not a very standardized, rigorous, or time intensive process
(which it actually is).  I guess its just that the distinction isnt made between
an IBCLC certified RLC and a 1 week course certified CLE, and we all know as
IBCLCs that there is quite a difference between the two.  I would have hoped
that a newspaper of this caliber would be more accurate and clear in the
information they give, as I think this article is damaging and dismissive to the
LC profession and will be read by many prospective parents- and with what
influence?
I just wish this profession was taken as seriously by the general public as we
take it ourselves.

Kristin Newman, IBCLC,RLC, LLLL, Calgary,AB Canada...who knows just how
long the process took and how much education and effort was required to
make it happen