Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 21:53:16 -0700
You know the battle most of us have fought at times, trying to get an MD/DDS
to clip even a severely tied tongue.  But has anyone ever had a mild
tongue-tie clipped, and gotten good results?  I have a patient whose
adoptive newborn is mildly tongue-tied, and we are having more difficulty
with latch than I would have expected, given that he has never had a bottle
and he is an easygoing little fellow (not TOO easy, but just right).
Assessment of the suck shows that he CAN do it right, but he mixes some
strokes with the tongue covering the lower gum with some strokes where it
doesn't.  His parents are continuing with suck training, and that alone may
be enough.  I don't know whether the clip will help or not, but it seems
like a fairly benign way to try to get results that matter a lot.  However,
I'd feel better if I heard someone say it had made a difference in their
practice.

So, has anyone seen definitively positive results from clipping a frenulum
which is only possibly restrictive?

Yours in milk,

Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC