From:
Nancy Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:09:27 -0600
Dear friends,

I am grieved that I cannot share my birth or breastfeeding experiences with
my mother.  She not only refuses to talk about my births, but also refuses
to talk about her births because of her bad memories.  She gave birth in the
'60s in the USA.  Mom had great pregnancies and fast labors...at least until
she went to the hospital.  Mom told me she was knocked out, strapped down,
and remembers waking up briefly to a nurse (nurses?) pushing roughly on her
abdomen during a contraction.  No wonder she doesn't want to talk about her
experience!  She was hospitalized 2 weeks and fed her babies a condensed
milk formula.

My grandmother and great grandmother never discussed their births.  I know
they had bad attitudes about breastfeeding and frequently told me to quit
giving my babies "blue-john" milk.  I guess they didn't realize breastmilk
was different in appearance than cow's milk.  As much as they tried, they
never were able to discourage me from breastfeeding.  I'm a very determined
breastfeeder and have been nursing over 16 years...and am currently nursing
my youngest child, who is a 2 yo.

I'd love to know all the details of my mom's and my grandmothers' births.

Nancy Carter, D.V.M., CTLD, mom of 6
Alabama, USA

Heather writes:    "My mother - 81 - also gave birth in the early 50s (in
the UK)  ...what was also insisted upon was babies in the nursery at night
and in the day, feeding no more often than four-hourly ...They were in
hospital for about 2 weeks ...These experiences were absolutely typical for
the time - insisting on breastfeeding, but with institutional practices that
undermined it right from the start."