From:
"Thompson, Sharon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 1995 10:35:00 -0700
My name is Sharon.  I've been listening on this list for a few weeks--and
having a hard time keeping up with the volume.  I'm neither an LC nor a
breastfeeding mom, nor even a mother but I'm interested in helping women (my
friends for now) have positive breastfeeding experiences.  I have learned a
lot on this list--thank you.  I'm writing now because I have a friend who
just had a baby last week.  Her doctor put her on phenobarbitol to control
her blood pressure (which went up at the very end of her pregnancy resulting
in induction and a c/section).  She wants to breastfeed and was
breastfeeding for the first two days postpartum.  She has stopped because
she is concerned about the drugs' effect on her  baby (she is also taking
benedril, erythrocin and darvocet, folic acid, calcium and iron).  She has
been pumping and tossing for the past few days.  I am going to see her on
Friday so I wanted to get some feedback from you that I could give her.
 I'll be away from my computer so I'll only get messages sent before Friday.
 I hope it is not inappropriate to post this kind of request.  I appreciate
all your help.  You can respond to me privately at [log in to unmask]
 Again thanks a million.

Also after she had the baby he had shakes which she was concerned were
seizures.  The doctor saw him and said he was fine.  Is this an effect of
the anesthetic.  He has since stopped having the shakes.  The doctor also
said that since she (my friend) was anemic, he (the baby) might be low in
iron.  She suggested that my friend give the baby iron supplements.  What do
you think of this?