From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 17:59:03 -0400

<< Tonight on ABC Evening News, there was a story about "rethinking" typcical
 devilery procedures. An OB researcher in Quebec reported MORE tears in
 women with episiotomies than in women without. >>

Anne -- I couldn't help but chuckle at your typo -- I do believe that most of
the procedures in L&D are just that -- devilry.  And then reading on, I
misread the next sentence the first time, and completely agreed with your
assessment.  I certainly cried a LOT more with my episiotomy.  Many more
tears.  Oops -- tears.  Well, FWIW, that was my experience in our birthing
center.  We never had a 4th degree without an episiotomy first (at least
while I was there).  Usually the slight tearing was along an old epis scar
and was much less than the episiotomy would have been.  As the recipient of
one episiotomy and two tears, my philosophy is "let her rip!"

Jan B
Wheaton, IL