From:
"Bonnie J. Shafer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 00:40:54 EDT
Does anyone have any information on Fentanyl with epidurals and how it
effects infant suckling at the breast postpartum?? Any research that anyone
is aware of to date?? Our hospital is gathering information for a possible
study on its effects with infants breastfeeding . We have been seeing really
bizarre behavior with our infants at the breast and not wanting to suck or
having a very disorganized suck. We are already getting in contact with Dr.
Tom Hale. Also if anyone knows of any research articles out there on D5LR
being given to Moms in labor and how it affects the infants with
hypoglycemia. Our hospital is choosing not to change their IV fluids on our
moms and if we have research to show them they may consider changing the
fluids. Yes it is causing hypoglycemia and you can just imagine what its
doing to the infants that moms had wanted to breastfeed. They of course are
receiving the formula due to low dex's. Any research that anyone has on both
of these topics would be appreciated. You may email me privately or on
lactnet.
Thanks
BShaferRN