From:
Pat Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 08:45:24 -0500
Winona County Community Health Department
Winona, Minnesota

I usually address how long to breastfeed during the pregnancy but just
touch on it, saying that it is such a perfect food that you could
breastfeed forever but most kids are weaned before college.  Then I just
focus on getting started.
When I find the breastfeeding past a year information most valuable for
mothers is when I have a mom who has an infant over six months of age,
the child is starting to become more independent and eat other foods,
and the mom is starting to realize how important the breastfeeding is to
her and the infant. That is when I emphasize that breastfeeding can
continue until she and the child are ready to wean.
At this point, this is good news to moms and I find that most of those
moms will continue to breastfeed past a year.