Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:09:11 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Coming from one of highest rates of CS in Florida and possibly US, it is impossible to convey to people who continue to assume that when a doctor suggests that they have a choice and he "markets" his perspective on the pros of elective cesareans that they are only conveniening the caregiver and that in the long run they will no longer have a choice, because "once a cesarean always a cesarean" will now apply.? 

Having once worked where VBACs were the way not the exception I can only say that once again we allowing ourselves to be disempowered.? 

Our babies are not going to breast until nearly 4 hours and sometimes 5 hours after delivery.? Our PACU is "too crowded " to allow them in and they are in another wing.? Truth be told the nurses who endorse the cesarean by choice reign supreme and they don't have time to assist mothers with breastfeeding.? This crew has issues with putting babies skin to skin after a vaginal birth.? But the vast majority of cesarean moms are trying to cope with issues of nausea, vomiting and temp instability in PACU.? 

Even our young female OBs are falling for elective cesareans.? As a Childbirth Educator and LC I feel that when I teach a class it is essential for me to present the concept of Birth is Normal and Breastfeeding is Normal.
As a postpartum nurse if my patients have had a cesarean delivery then I must focus on helping her to develop her ability to breastfeed and parent.? Until the pendulum swings ( and it will) it is critical for all who deal with the post delivery mom to empower her?to provide the best of herself...which? may happen when she is thinking have I made a less than perfect choice with the cesarean because it is more than the simple birth of chose the day and let's get it over with.? 

If mom can have a choice or verbalize waiting til she is nearer to term she should be allowed that option.
All of this only comes with education and a marketing strategy to counter the easy peasey attitude of certain 
caregivers.

Thoughts from Atlanta where a few of us will join the Emory Breastfeeding Conference for the next two days.
Leanne Jewell RNC, IBCLC, LCCE, FACCE
S Fl

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2