From:
Jill Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 13:45:32 -0500
Dear Lucy and all,
    Thanks for your response on women who don't want to breastfeed after
24-48 hours.  Yes, they exist.  Some days in WIC, I feel like it's
everybody.
    I guess I remain concerned and I'm casting my net wider than those of
you who try so hard to help.  For those of you, like Lucy, who do all you
can, I commend you.
   What Lucy's post helped me to see was why we so often interpret for a mom
and move on.  There is only so much time, only so much energy to go around.
My concern was:   posts that said "I can't" means "I don't want to."  I
think this interpretation serves the formula companies well.
    I'm not putting this on those of you who do so much already; I'm talking
about the wider society -- every person that mother will have contact with
in those early days.  If she truly does not want to bf, okay, but "I can't"
may mean a cry for help.
     A can of worms it can be...so I must resort to humor at this point.
    As I'm a northerner living farther south now, Lucy, standing on your
head sounded good, but whistling Dixie?  Maybe we need a new tune?  Like
"Here we Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush".. That's what I feel like when we've
got sick babies in the office from formula use or a mom that decides months
down the road to relactate because the light bulb finally went on...... oh,
for an earlier epiphany!!
    Jill Lund, RD, MS
    St. Louis, Missouri - WIC