Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:45:14 EDT
Hi all,

I knew I'd read that c-section moms sometimes had sharp pain in their
shoulders, but I wanted to look it up before I posted.

From "Having a Cesarean Baby" by Richard Hausknecht, MD and Joan Rattner
Heilman (Dutton, 1978):

"Shoulder pains:
Some people, after abdominal surgery, find they have a sharp pain in one or
both their shoulders. This is the result of a result of a diaphragm that has
been irritated by air and blood collected beneath it. The nerve that supplies
the diaphragm emerges from the spinal cord at the shoulder blade which is why
 you will feel it there.

This pain is perfectly normal and will last only few hours until the  air and
blood are reabsorbed." (p.106)

I don't know if there's a better explanation than that, but it does fit in
with what Nikki posted about referred pain.

Warmly,
Carol Kelley   LLLL
Taylors, SC USA