From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 06:42:09 -0600
>But we are a society of "convenience" and
>speed and efficiency, so don't hold out much for them in trying to learn
>"how to"  when their baby is screaming, their breasts are sore and
>possibly leaking and their bottom doesn't feel much better.

As I said it an earlier post, hand expression ain't rocket science.  It is
much easier, faster, and more efficient, and much easier to learn "how to"
when the baby is screaming, the mom's breasts and bottom are sore.  You
don't have to read the instructions, you don't have to have an electricity
source, you don't have to assemble anything, you don't have to wash or
sterilize anything.  How can anyone think a pump is EASIER or more
convenient than hand expression?

This is like saying it is easier and more efficient to sterilize bottles,
boil water, and mix up formula than it is to put the baby to your breast.

Am I just being dense?
Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Anthropology and Nutrition
Texas A&M University