Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:07:13 EST
Mira,

Ask for more time!!!!  You can only adequately cover 3 (or fewer) subjects in
that time.  Tell them that you need another time slot if they want you to
cover a separate subject.

On drying up:

1.  Ask mom first what SHE wants to do.   Very often, stopping the b/f is
someone else's idea, or she's having what she thinks are insurmountable
problems.  If what she REALLY wants to do is continue b/f, then REFER her to
someone who can help her.  (you know who these people are.....tell the docs
who they are).

2.  Mom will need comfort measures.
        a.  Ibuprofin (not Acetaminophen).  Ibuprofin will reduce inflammation as
well as tempurature.
        b.  Ice packs (if mom can handle them)
        c.  Cabbage.  I don't have copies of references, but someone will.  I usually
mention that "this will sound silly, but it works".  I also tell (in the
classes I teach) that cabbage is good for swelling anywhere, and use as
example when I turned my ankle during the ILCA conference last summer, ankle
swelled on the trip home.  Bought cabbage, wrapped my foot in it, was fine the
next morning.  You may embellish as you see fit (I do it as time permits).

2.  Herbals, such as sage and mint.  These will help her "dry up".  Mint teas,
mint candies (??? anyone), sage dressing, sage teas.  Avoid the galactagogues:
oatmeal, fenugreek.

Good luck with your lecture.  I am sure that others will have
more/better/other suggestions for you.

Margie Forrest, RN, BSN, IBCLC