From:
Monique Schaefers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 13:45:05 -0700
"Dawn Campbell" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
(SNIP)
>  When her
> infant was 6 weeks old she felt like she had the symptoms of mastitis so
> she went to her OB/GYN and was diagnosed and treated for mastitis with a
> ten-day course of antibiotics.  Later she received a letter from her
> insurance company asking her if she was still breastfeeding.  She thought
> it strange that they would want to know, but she answered "yes".  She then
> received a letter from the insurance company saying that since she had
> gotten mastitis (her first time ever), and was still breastfeeding she was
> at risk for getting mastitis again.  They were going to change her health
> risk to a Level 2-- her husband and two children were going to remain a
> Level 1--and increase her premiums.  She very much enjoys breastfeeding
and
> will continue inspite of the cost.  She called the insurance company and
> asked why she should pay more money for doing the most healthy thing for
> herself and baby.  They said that they "encourage breastfeeding but once
> you have gotten mastitis you can get it again and again."  They said that
> is the only reason her premiums are going up and not due to any other
> aspect of her health.

This has just GOT to TAKE THE CAKE!!!  I can't type out what I am saying at
full volume in the privacy of my own home.  ARRGGHHH!  I want to know who
the company is.  I sure as H*ll don't want them getting my money.

> My question to you all:  Have you ever heard of this
> before? And, I wonder if insurance companies charge extra to women who
> formula feed due to the increase in illnesses of their babies?  Thanks.

I suggest she call her state's attorney general's office and/or insurance
division consumer protection office.

Oh I can't just type in what I'm thinking!   I am beside myself.  The
STUPIDITY!~!!!!!
---
Monique