Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 19:53:20 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Hello, All.
   Please note that my email address has changed.
   I received the following email, and received permission to forward to you for any wisdom about this situation that you might have.  I'm not sure why the breastfeeding toddler needed iron, or if that even has anything to do with this situation.  I know I've heard plenty of times that if a child holds his breath while angry, and faints, that you shouldn't worry because as soon as he faints, he will automatically start to breathe again.  However, this toddler does not seem to be holding his breath on purpose, so I'm not sure this situation is quite so benign.  Again, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with low iron count, or if that really has anything to do with breastfeeding.  Have any of you come up against this situation?  Any information to share?
    Thanks.
     Dee Kassing, IBCLC, LLLL

Just wondering if anyone has experience with (or has heard of) this:  My 16 month old son has fainted 3 times now within the past 2 months.  When he gets really upset and doesn't breathe between cries like some kids do (picture me saying:  breathe, breathe and blowing in his face), his lips turn a little blue, he gets pale and faints and is out for only 4-5 seconds. He then arouses and after a minute or two, goes back to playing as usual.  No other problems or concerns we have noticed since his first spell.  Is this common?

I have a doc appt next Monday to recheck his iron and I definitely plan to ask her about the fainting.  Last month, his iron count was low (be related to fainting???) so the doc wanted me to give Iron supplements daily.  He nurses well day and night and eats well most days...typical toddler appetite.  

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2