From:
Tonya M Brossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 13:58:37 -0500
        Hi. My name is Tonya Brossart. I am a second semester junior nursing
student at the University of North Dakota. I recently read an article by
Forrester, Wheelock, and Warren(1997) that addressed the attitudes of
students towards breasfeeding. The participants in the study were made up
of high school and college students. What was found is that these students
felt that a major barrrier to breastfeeding is embarrassment. Most felt
that breastfeeding should not be done publicly. Most also believed that
breasfeeding is the best source of nutrition for a child, and education
could change the feeling of embarrassment, which would result in more
women breastfeeding.
        I looked at two research based journal articles that addressed
breastfeeding education. Both found that educating women about
breastfeeding increases the duration and positive experiences (Quarles,
Williams, Hoyle, Brimeyer, & Williams, 1994) (Pugin, Valdes, Labbok,
Perez, & Aravena, 1996).
        My thoughts on all of this are that instead of waiting until the
third trimester of pregnancy to try to teach women about breastfeeding,
why not start to teach it in the elementary schools? These children are
already learning about nutrition. Breastfeeding is the best form of
nutrition. This would get children talking about breasts and their
function so that they will not feel embarrassed about breastfeeding. If
brestfeeding can be seen as normal and natural starting at a young age,
maybe the attitudes about breastfeeding will begin to change, and more
women will do it and stick with it.
        Does anyone have any thoughts on this or know of any place that is
teaching breastfeeding in elementary schools?
        Thank you for your attention to this subject!!
        Forrester, I., Wheelock, G., & Warren, A. (1997). "Assessment of
Students' Attitudes Toward Breastfeeding." Journal of Human Lactation,
13(1), 33-37.
        Pugin, E., Valdes, V., Labbok, M., Perez, A. & Aravena, R. (1996).
"Does Prenatal Breastfeeding Skills Group Education Increase the
Effectiveness of a Comprehensive Breastfeeding Promotion Program?" Journal
of Human Lactation, 12(1), 15-19.
        Quarles, A., Williams, P., Hoyle, D., Brimeyer, M., & Williams, A.
(1994). "Mothers' Intention, Age, Education and the Duration and
Management of Breastfeeding." Maternal-Child Nursing Journal, 22(3),
102-108.