From:
Judy Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Dec 2006 16:21:02 -0500
Dear Friends,  I read a wonderful article in Leaven about baby led latch a
couple years ago. I understood that we line up the nose to nipple, place nipple
under nose, and baby will open if the guiding hand is not holding the back of
the head. So I thought the magic opening cue is under the nose. A couple
weeks ago I met someone who works with children who sometimes bite
caregivers. He said he was taught that if a child bites, simply putting a finger
under the nose will cue a release. He did not say occluding the nares. I am
going to watch the chin spot and see if it's better now, but below the nose
works really well. We also compress/shape the breast parallel to the mouth,
like a fat sandwich, thumb on top. I put together a 3 ring binder story book of
pictures from different places to explain to mom first, because moms thought
they would hurt the baby when I was teaching before making the story book.
It starts with positioning. I also use a cotton breast and a frog puppet for
added demo as needed. The frog opens wide and has a pocket type mouth,
and it's head can extend back, unlike a plastic doll. Good for a few laughs, too.
So far this is working really well for us. I would like to take a moment to thank
all of you for being there and sharing your knowledge. I don't think I could do
this without you all. Judy