From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 07:09:48 EST
Dear Folks:
        I just read an interesting study that looked at the composition of the
macrophages in the mother's milk of the children with cow's milk allergy.
It isn't only the cow milk proteins coming through the milk that makes babies
symptomatic. It is might also be changes in the human milk macrophages that
persist, despite the mother eliminating dairy from her diet.
        This would explain those situations where babies continue with symptoms, even
after mom is on a strict elimination diet.
        (Jarvinen et al. "Relation between Weak HLA-DR expression on human breast
milk macrophages and cow milk allergy in suckling infants" Pediatric Research
1999 ; 45:76-81)
        I don't like their recommendations (weaning and using a hypoallergenic
formula, either a hydrolysate or amino-acid based one)  but on the other hand,
babies with severe symptoms, and their mothers, need some help. What do you
all think? Warmly, Nikki