From:
Cheryl Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 21:48:56 -0700
1. Will we see this episode re-played in the spring, or do you suppose
they will re-write it after the response from this one.

2. Perhaps someone should start a list of baby-frindly te.evision shows
and have it printed in a national publication at the end of the ratings
season.

3. I suggest keeping a log of any cases of women who decide not to
breastfeed or who quit breastfeeding, as a result of this show. It might
come in handy in case their are law suits pending. Ideally, get the
mom's permission, it helps to have names (proof), or document the
statistics from your hospital nursery log. Back in 1994, after the Wall
Street Journal and "20/20" baby dehydration story, our local
breastfeeding rate declined by 2% for the rest of the year. Was it no
coincidence that those media events occurred right after the U.S.
endorsed the WHO Code. Now Chicago Hope, just months after the A.A.P.
makes a strong breastfeeding endorsement. Our rates went up by 4% (64%
to 68% initiation)in the six months following the AAP statement.

4. This is the first time I've seen someone "made to feel guilty" for
breastfeeding. If we "made someone feel guilty" for bottlefeeding on
national T.V., would the bottle-feeding rates go down?? I'm not
suggesting we do this, I just wonder about cultural reaction ?
I also wonder if there has ever been a fictitious tv show where a baby
has serious problems with circumcision and the public becomes aware.

5. Perhaps the onus of guilt could have been placed on an HMO or
insurance company that refused to approve of a lactation consult for the
grieving "Ross" family, who was victimized by breastfeeding advocates.

6. Good news -- thanks to Lacnet and a supportive department head, we
were able to do some anticipatory guidance. Got an editorial in the
local newspaper on the morning after the show, in response to the show.
People have been calling to find out how we got it in so soon. The local
pediatricians unanimously agreed to have their names on the letter(about
12 of them, two were out of town and couldn't be reached,but none
refused to be included. The paper would only print one name, plus the
lactation consultant, but it was therapeutic to have their unanimous
support.

7. If you want to send hard-copy letter writing campaign:
Address of CBS President:
Leslie Moonves, President
CBS Entertainment
7800 Beverly Blvd.