Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 19:05:48 EDT
I wanted to respond to the question about Lactational Amenorrhea and what the
average length of time is for Lactational Amenorrhea.  For women practicing
ecological breastfeeding the length of time is approximately 14 months, with
many women going longer and some not as long.  For those practicing cultural
breastfeeding, any deviation from the ecological pattern causes a lessening in
the natural lactational amenorrhea to be expected.

One of the best sources of info about Lactational Amenorrhea is Couple to
Couple League.  CCL is based out of Cincinnati, OH, at 513-471-2000.  They are
an international organization teaching Natural Family Planning (NFP).  NFP is
a method of birth regulation that helps achieve, postpone, or avoid pregnancy
with all natural means.

CCL was started by Sheila Kippley and her husband, both long-time
breastfeeding promoters.  CCL classes are filled with excellent breastfeeding
information.  The CCL office has a great deal of information about Lactation
Amenorrhea, and is an excellent source for material on this topic.  I've given
many lectures on this topic and have found the CCL material to be very
helpful.

Katy Lebbing, IBCLC
Lactation Education Services
Villa Park, IL