Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 09:42:39 EST
I learned to breastfeed by just doing it.  I couldn't stand to hear my
babies cry (oldest is 33 yr) so breastfed despite cracked, bleeding nipples and
likely abysmal latching.  Getting water bottles from the nursery and using  a
pacifier likely didn't help either.  I just thought I was supposed to  have
damaged nipples because of my fair skin.  I co-slept because I  couldn't sleep
with my poor child in the next room in her crib and because I got  permission to
from my Lamaze instructor who later became an LC.  I nursed  lying down on my
side with trial and error just trying to not cause nipple  pain.  I remember
hand expressing when engorged and just massaged and  squeezed the heck out of
my breasts.  I also found the cylinder hand pump I  had so I could leave a
bottle and go out (was told this was important to  maintaining a marriage by above
Lamaze instructor, and being the compliant girl  I was then, I followed
through) was painful so hand expression easier or a  combination sometimes used.

For me, without any family or even friends who breastfed then, it was just
sticking with it and instinct that got me through; that and a tremendous
supply.  Poor firstborn child, somehow survived my learning curve.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC

Those of you whose firstborns are older than 28 or so:

How did you  learn to breastfeed effectively?  How did you learn to  hand
express?  How did you learn to breastfeed lying down?  =20

Diane Wiessinger, MS, IBCLC, LLLL  Ithaca, NY   USA
www.normalfed.com

**************Who's never won?  Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
AOL Music.
(http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000003)