From:
Barbara Latterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:12:55 EST
Diane,

I have done weights post gulping sessions and have found minimal intake.
Just recently, this occurred with baby who sure sounded like he was swallowing
alot for five minutes but yield was only 8 ml, when the sound of it should have
been at least an ounce.  This baby had a posterior, lingual tongue tie so his
gulping was likely due to his inability to centrally groove his tongue and
hold a larger bolus.

I joke with people that I must have a stamp on my forehead that says "She can
identify posterior tongue tie," for that's all I see lately, but am fortunate
to be able to refer to Dr Coryllos.  I found your explanation of gulping very
helpful; I never thought of the letdown as a mist, is this what you meant?
It makes sense though when one sees some letdowns spraying from all nipple
pores, it is more of an overall spray bottle effect, rather than a steady stream
of milk.  And the gulping of milk and air intake is helpful to teach moms I've
found, as many report baby is gassy, too.

Your posts are so helpful and always stimulate thought, thank you.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC

2.  I weighed gulps.  It was a baby who'd had trouble for some weeks because
of a small mandible.  She was now able to nurse pretty well, but tended to
gulp when the flow was fast.  "Ooh," I said to the mother, "Let's weigh the
gulps."  I assumed there'd be a substantial weight gain following that surge of
glugs... but there wasn't.  She had taken in only .2 oz (6 grams).  Then it
occurred to me: Gulping involves
swallowing air.  The gulping phase is probably the *least* productive part of
a feed.  The baby may be dealing with almost an aerosol of milk - a mist
that's not really all that productive.  I'd love for some others to weigh gulps
and see if they find the same.