From:
Jparks1041 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:02:48 EST
The point that Williams was making, I think, was not that babies would grow up
to be users--which I wouldn't have much of a problem with, considering the
research.  Here is her quote in an otherwise nicely researched 9for the most
part) article on the FDA homepage:

"Drugs of Abuse:  Some drugs, such as cocaine and PCP, can intoxicate the
baby.  Others, such as amphetamines, heroin, and marijuana, can cause a
variety of symptoms, including irritability, poor sleeping patterns, tremors,
and vomiting.  Babies become addicted to these drugs."

Don't get me wrong, Dr. Newman.  I am not advocating that every crack
mama/meth maven breastfeed.  But neither, based on good research, can I feel
good issuing sweeping generalizations equating cannabis with heroin or
amphetamines, then using that equation to disseminate the idea that if a
mother smokes pot occasionally her baby is better off on the "dead chemical
soup", as you so succinctly put it.  I have *seen* the results of getting
formula instead of breastmilk.  They are well documented and replicated.
Until I see similar results on marijuana use and breastfeeding, I will not be
advocating mothers not breastfeed if they have partaken of some alcohol,
marijuana, cigarettes, etc.  Whose idea is it to propagate the myth that
breastmilk is so fragile that one less than perfect move negates all the
benefits?  Let's give the mothers the real info and let them give informed
consent for their decisions, in most cases.  Empowered women are more likely
to nurse, and I can't quantify this type of fear-mongering in the empowerment
category.

Joy Berry-Parks
LLLL, Attachment Parenting Group, Little Rock AR
anthropologist-in-the-making