From:
Carla D'Anna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 14:08:22 -0500
I can understand a mother of triplets not wanting twins advice.   MOST
(Mothers of Supertwins) has a web site at
http://www.mostonline.org/resources/index.htm
They say
"Of triplet births, 88% are born less than 2500 grams (5.5 lbs), and 15%
are considered
SGA. However, SGA Incidence rises dramatically after 36 weeks to 44%, at
37 weeks
and 66% at 38 weeks. 100% of quad and quint babies are below 2500 grams.

Half (50%) of supertwin mothers choose to breastfeed their babies, and
do so for an
average of 2 - 3 months.

Cesarean sections occurred in 98% of triplet deliveries and in 100% of
quadruplet and
quintuplet deliveries."

They have resource volunteers to help individually.  Perhaps there is a
mother of triplets who breastfed in the same area as the pregnant mom.

They have a list of web sites (it includes formula companies, breastpump
and other high order twin organizations) that may provide more
information.

On another track,  JOGNN had a very good article about a year ago on
twins and higher order multiples by Karen Grommada who lectures on
breastfeeding multiples.  I remember seeing a great picture of a mom
nursing 2 and bottle feeding the third simultaneously.  There was also
good discussion of the need to feed Ior pump for) at least one baby at
least 8 - 10 times a day to maintain partial (mixed with formula)
breastfeeding for long term.  It seemed with less than the equivalent of
a singleton's stimulation  the milk supply decreased quickly.  There
were also references to exclusive breastfeeding of triplets.  I don't
have the article handy but I remmber being very impressed with the
practical advice it offered for moms of  higher order multiples.

Carla (north of Washington, DC)