From:
Sarah Barnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 1995 12:49:55 EDT
I was at a session with Jan Riordan at LLL conference about
breastfeeding assessment tools.  There is poor inter-rater
reliability with both LATCH and MBA.  You might want to get a tape
of the session from LLLI (sesion 107) for a fuller discussion.
I think there are plans to publish the evaluation data soon.
Abstract conclusion from sesssion "Reliability coefficients for all
sment
three assessment tools are marginally acceptable indicating that they
measure both similar and different aspects of feedings at the breast.
Nurses are not reliable in measuring videotaped breastfeedings using
the IBFAT, the MBA and the LATCH but each nurse tends to consistently
score feedings the same way."
I would
 Sarah Barnett LLLL Bronx NY