From:
Cathy Carothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 18:12:53 -0500
> I wonder if "not breastfeeding" could be the linking factor in both of
> these. I know I've seen studies that breastfed babies are less likely to
> snore as children, because of the better development of the mouth/jaw
> structures. Are there studies on breastfeeding and ADD?

This isn't very scientific, but of my 5 breastfed children, 2 have ADD.  One is a classic "textbook" ADHD child who is now responding beautifully to his medication.  He was breastfed 4 years, and never snored or had any ear problems--in fact, he has had only 1 very minor ear infection in his entire 10 years of life.  The other ADD child was breastfed around 18 months, and also never snored or had any ear problems.   The remaining three children include two boys who are not ADD but had numerous ear infections despite being breastfed for over a year each (one snored and finally had surgery to remove his adenoids at the age of 3) and a daughter who is not ADD and has also never had any problems with ear infections or snoring.  She was breastfed the least of the 5, for only 7 months (way back when, before I knew what I know now).

Having 5 kids (some of whom are now "grown") makes for fascinating anecdotal musings.  I, too, would be interested if there are any studies that connect "not breastfeeding" to ADD.

Cathy Carothers, IBCLC