Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Aug 2011 20:17:23 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Cindy writes:
<For 2 days since no more breastfeeding due to the unknown that it might be part of the instability in sodium.  Finally, after IV therapy the sodium is at a safe point.  

Has anyone had experience with SIADH and breastfeeding?>

No experience. Just questions. I don't quite understand < For 2 days since no more breastfeeding due to the unknown that it might be part of the instability in sodium>

Does this mean she was told to stop (or on her own,decided to stop) milk removal from the breast suddenly? Stopping milk removal does not stop milk production quickly. So absorbption of sodium by the milk making cell would not suddenly stop just because milk removal was stopped suddenly. Sudden stoppage would be more likely to cause complications such as possible severe engorgement or mastitis. Passage of raw materials, including sodium, into the milk making cells is a chemical process, and sodium, as far as I am able to understand it, is an important factor, and possibly a limiting one if there is imbalance. Therefore it seems that if the sodium were somehow imbalanced, nature herself would not be able to produce the same as if the blood chemistry were normal, and therefore, would continue to regulate or limit production according to nature's standard chemical principles.

Now that you say her IV fluids have normalized the sodium, I hope she continues in appropriate frequency of nursing or milk removal by pump so that this interruption itself doesn't "throw a monkey wrench" into establishment of a good supply. It seems to me that an endocrinologist, hopefully at least somewhat knowledgeable about lactation as a hormonal process, would be the professional most qualified to comment on the effect of her disease process on the process of lactation. The obstetrician and pediatrician might feel more confident after consulting with the endocrinologist, rather than your trying to be a direct go-between. Hopefully there would be enough professionalism to share the main points with the whole staff (and the mparents) as a learning opportunity.

I suspect that even if it were to make a difference in the quantity of milk, I don't think the "recipe" nature is programmed to use, would alter the quality of the milk, so the baby would only be affected by the quantity - suffient versus insufficient.

Just musing on my part. No particular expertise.

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC 
WIC Volunteer LC, Dayton, OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2